Sterling silver can turn your finger green or black? The short answer is “yes”. If your finger turns green, don’t just assume that your jewelry was cheap or isn’t really silver.
Sterling silver is a composition. 92.5% is pure silver. The balance of 7.5% is other metals or metals alloyed. Most typically though, sterling silver has around 7.5% copper in it. It has copper in it because silver by itself is too soft to make jewelry. It has copper in it because silver by itself is too soft to make jewelry.
You may not believe the culprit behind turning your finger green is copper.
Oxidation and Sterling Silver
- Our sweat is acidic, and it, along with many other common things
- lotion, can cause copper to develop a green patina.
- This patina is the result of oxidation
- That green color stains your finger
Don’t panic, if your finger should start to turn, the process is not harmful to you at all. "If your finger turns green because of the oxidation of the copper in your sterling silver, you are in no danger. Green fingers may be aesthetically displeasing, but they are not a health hazard!”
Not All Sterling Silver Rings Are the Same
The short answer is, there is none. Sterling silver and 925 silver are different names for the same silver alloy. Let’s break this down. Because pure silver is much too soft to be used in jewelry, it is often combined with other metals to create a more durable metal.
HOW CAN I PREVENT MY FINGERS FROM TURNING GREEN?
It’s time to find out what can be done about it! There are ways to prevent your fingers from turning green, which include:
1. AVOID LOW-QUALITY JEWELRY
Rings made from a combination of pure silver and copper are reliable, and if they do happen to turn your fingers green, it won’t be due to low quality.
2. KEEP THE AREA DRY
If you wear rings over skin that is damp or wet, you increase the likelihood of ending up with a noticeable green tint.
3. USE CLEAR NAIL POLISH
One method to avoid green fingers is to coat the inside of your sterling silver rings with clear nail polish. Here’s how:
- Paint the inside of your rings with clear nail polish.
- Leave your painted ring on a flat surface to dry for at least 20 minutes
- Wear your ring!
- Apply the clear nail polish as needed
What to do! If turned your finger. Use
1. EYE MAKEUP REMOVER & RUBBING ALCOHOL
2. NON-ACETONE NAIL POLISH REMOVER
What are the Benefits of wearing sterling silver?
- Safety for Sensitive Skin: sterling silver is a 100% non-reactive metal
- Energy Stimulation and Focus: when you wear sterling silver jewelry that comes into direct contact with your skin, the proper flow of energy is stimulated in your body.
- Help With Inflammation and Arthritis: sterling silver can be absorbed directly into your skin and transmits strong pain-relieving effects.